Table of Contents
How do you use despite in a sentence?
Despite sentence example
- Despite her fear, she wrapped her arms around him.
- He appeared relaxed, despite the danger.
- Our vacation was a lot of fun, despite the cold weather.
- Despite the water, her mouth was dry and aching almost to the point of pain.
- It gave off heat despite the black flames.
How do you explain Despite?
In spite of and despite have a similar meaning to although or even though. They express a contrast between two things. They are both more common in writing than in speaking. Despite is a little more formal than in spite of.
What is the meaning of despite with example?
Despite is defined as not affected by or in spite of. An example of despite is when you go outside even though the fact that it is raining. preposition.
Does despite mean hate?
despitenoun. Disdain, contemptuous feelings, hatred.
Where is despite used?
Although, even though, in spite of and despite are all used to link two contrasting ideas or show that one fact makes the other fact surprising. They can all be used at the beginning or in the middle of the sentence. Despite the rain, we enjoyed the festival. We enjoyed the festival, despite the rain.
Is Despite followed by of?
Never use of after despite. Always use of after in spite. We enjoyed the evening despite the bad weather. OR We enjoyed the evening in spite of the bad weather.
What is the uses of despite of?
We use despite / in spite of to express that something is unexpected or surprising. Despite the heavy traffic, we got there on time. Despite being much older than the others, he won the race. Despite and in spite of can be followed by a noun or verb.
Where is inspite and despite used?
What kind of word is despite?
The function word despite is a preposition. The preposition despite is followed by a noun or a noun phrase, never a clause.
What does Despite difficulty mean?
to continue to stay alive or be well, or to continue to be able to do a job, in spite of difficulties.
What does despite the fact mean?
1. used for saying that something happens even though something else might have prevented it. Three more nuclear power stations were built despite widespread opposition. despite the fact that: He still loves her, despite the fact that she left him.
What is the difference between Despite And despite of?
Remember that despite is never followed by ‘of’. Don’t say ‘despite of something’, say despite something: Note that in spite has a similar meaning but is always followed by ‘of’: