Table of Contents
How long should I cook a 16 lb unstuffed turkey?
The rule of thumb for cooking a turkey is 13 minutes per pound. So our 16-pound turkey was estimated to cook in about 3 1/2 hours. However, some factors like brining the bird, cooking with an empty (un-stuffed) cavity, and leaving the legs un-trussed will contribute to much faster cooking.
How long does it take to cook a turkey 16 lb?
How do you cook a 16-pound unstuffed turkey?
If your turkey weighs 15 to 16 pounds, roast it at:
- 425°F for 3 to 3¼ hours.
- 400°F for 3¼ to 3½ hours.
- 350°F for 3½ to 3¾ hours.
- 325°F for 3¾ to 4 hours.
How long should you cook a turkey at 325?
How Long to Roast a Turkey
- For one 8- to 12-pound turkey, roast at 325°F for 2¾ to 3 hours.
- For one 12- to 14-pound turkey, roast at 325°F for 3 to 3¾ hours.
- For one 14- to 18-pound turkey, roast at 325°F for 3¾ to 4¼ hours.
- For one 18- to 20-pound turkey, roast at 325°F for 4¼ to 4½ hours.
Do you cook a turkey breast up or down?
Cook the turkey breast side down. While the turkey roasts, the juices fall down towards the breast, resulting in the most succulent meat. The breast is also more protected from the heat, which helps keep it from getting too dried out. Use a meat thermometer to take out any guess work of when the turkey is done.
Is it better to cook a turkey in a convection oven or regular oven?
Using a convection oven yields more efficient cooking. Because dry hot air is blowing directly on the food, your dishes will cook about 25 percent faster in a convection oven.
What temperature should a turkey cook to?
You’ll need a meat thermometer to make sure you cook your turkey to the right temperature. Insert it close to, but not touching, the thigh bone. If it reads 180 degrees F in the thigh and 170 degrees F in the breast, it’s done and ready to serve.
Is it better to cook turkey in regular or convection oven?
Should I let my turkey sit out before cooking?
Your turkey will cook more evenly and faster if you start it out at room temperature so remove the turkey from the refrigerator 1 hour before roasting. If you plan to stuff your turkey, wait until you’re ready to put it in the oven before putting the stuffing in the turkey.
How long do you cook a 10 pound turkey at 325?
How long to cook the turkey: temperatures and times
- For a 10–13-lb. turkey (weight with giblets): Bake in a 350° oven for 1 1/2–2 1/4 hr.
- For a 14–23-lb. turkey (weight with giblets): Bake in a 325° oven for 2–3 hr.
- For a 24–27-lb.
- For a 28–30-lb turkey (weight with giblets): Bake in a 325° oven for 3 1/2–4 1/2 hr.