Table of Contents
Who lived at Bradgate Park?
Lady Jane Grey
It was lived in by the Grey family for the next 220 years. It is believed that the house was the birthplace of Lady Jane Grey, later Queen, ruling for a mere 9 days before being overthrown by Mary I. After Jane and her father were executed in 1554, the estate passed to the crown.
Why is Bradgate Park old John?
A prominent landmark is the folly known as ‘Old John’ on the top of the highest hill in the park. Built by the Greys in 1784, the folly is, by local legend, a memorial to John, an estate worker killed in a bonfire accident during celebrations of the 21st birthday of the future sixth Earl of Stamford.
When was old John built in Bradgate Park?
It features one of the most prominent landmarks in Leicestershire, Old John, built in 1784, the folly that stands some 690 feet above sea level on top of the highest hill in Bradgate Park. Bradgate Park is the only remaining Medieval deer park in Leicestershire.
Was old John a volcano?
Bradgate park is sited around an extinct volcano topped by a folly known as old John this is literally the highpoint of the park with clear views across Leicestershire and parts of Nottingham shore.
What happened to Lady Jane Grey?
She was deposed as Queen of England by Mary Tudor on July 19, 1553 — nine days after accepting the crown. Grey was beheaded in London on February 12, 1554.
What is Bradgate Park famous for?
Bradgate Park, renowned for its fine herds of deer, is the only remaining enclosed medieval deer park in the East Midlands and contains the oldest rocks in England.
Why is Bradgate Park famous?
Bradgate Park is steeped in history – from its Norman beginnings as a hunting park to the building of Bradgate House, home of Lady Jane Grey in the early 1500s and beyond. The walk is over surfaced tracks and grass, suitable footwear should be worn.
Is there a volcano in Leicester?
Bardon Hill is part of the eroded remains of a volcano. It is the highest point in Leicestershire and the National Forest, 912 feet (278 m) above sea level. Due to its prominence, it is visible for many kilometres around. It adjoins Bardon Hill Quarry, a geological SSSI….
|Topo map||OS (1:50k) 119 (1:25k) OL24W|
How old are the oak trees Bradgate Park?
Bradgate Park was first enclosed as a deer park around 800 years ago. It provides 830 acres of publicly accessible countryside close to Leicester City Centre. The Park offers a wild and rugged landscape with dramatic rocky outcrops and gnarled old oak trees, many of which are well over 500 years old.
Is groby pool open?
A free car park is present at the Groby side. Groby Pool is situated on the southern edge of the Charnwood Forest and is reputedly the largest natural expanse of open water in Leicestershire, covering 38 acres (15 ha)….Groby Pool.
|Latin Name||Jynx torquilla|
|Recorded By||Barry Ingram|
Why did they execute Lady Jane GREY?
Lady Jane Grey reigned as queen for nine days in 1553. The English people, however, largely supported Edward VI’s half sister Mary Tudor, the rightful heir by Henry VIII’s will. At the beginning of Mary’s reign, Jane was arraigned for high treason and later executed.
Where is Lady Jane GREY buried?
St Peter Ad Vincula Royal Chapel, London
Lady Jane Grey/Place of burial
Lady Jane Grey was buried beneath the altar of the Tower’s Chapel Royal of St Peter ad Vincula.
Who was the first owner of Bradgate Park?
In 1445 the park passed by marriage to the Grey family, who owned it for the next 5 centuries. The first grey owner was Edward Grey, whose son John married Elizabeth Woodville. After John’s death at the Battle of St Albans in 1461 Elizabeth married King Edward IV.
How to get to the ruins of Bradgate House?
The easiest way to reach Bradgate House is to park at the main parking area in Newtown Linford, just off the minor road from Anstey. From there simply follow the signposted trail east along the bottom of the park. This will take you directly to the ruins of Bradgate House, a distance of 3/4 mile.
How tall is old John at Bradgate Park?
The history of Old John. This Folly or Prospect Tower was built in 1784 by the 5th Earl of Stamford. The circular stone tower replaced a former wooden windmill (which had been made unsafe in an earlier storm) and stands on Bradgate’s tallest hill and Leicestershire’s second highest point – 690 feet above sea level.
Who was the owner of the manor of Bradgate?
At the time of the Conquest Bradgate was part of the manor of Groby, within the waste of Charnwood Forest. The manor formed part of the possessions of the heiress Elizabeth Ferrers, who in 1427 married Edward, younger son of Lord Reginald Grey, third Baron Grey of Ruthin.